This is in no way connected to education business, or any other kind of business, but with the excuse of the first day of summer, here’s a recreational venture into irrelevancy.
On the way home from Chicago Monday morning we were passed by a Chicago police car with two phone numbers on the rear: “9-1-1 for emergencies” and “3-1-1 for non-emergencies.” To my warped mind this implied a continuum like the pain charts at the doctor’s office:
- 3-1-1: No emergency
- 4-1-1: Mildly uneasy
- 5-1-1: Getting a bit upset
- 6-1-1: Really hot under the collar
- 7-1-1: Is anybody paying attention, here?
- 8-1-1: Oh %@&!
- 9-1-1: Emergency, already!
- 10-1-1: If anyone would ever listen to me these things wouldn’t happen, but no…
I could try to link this to the way the states got into their current funding predicament, but why spoil it?